1. When you first start out, save all the orbs you find until you know what their true value is. Believe it or not, unlike Diablo 2 some of the best orbs can drop even in act 1 normal!
2. If possible try to avoid elemental damage from monsters/bosses (especially at lower lvls when you don't know what you doing yet), without any resistances they can hit you really hard.
3. If you find any item that is 3 linked and each color, (red, blue, green) you can sell it to a vendor for a chromatic orb!
4. When you encounter a boss or difficult group of monsters, make a TP (town portal), and if you die you will be able to re-enter in the same spot you died from. Most importantly, the monster won't regenerate life while you're in town.
5. Any time you level, the vendors in town will have new items to sell you. It's worth it to check for any onyx amulets/rings, as well as 5-6 linked items, which can have high value.
6. Here are the basic meanings for the color of items
White - can be used for crafting
Blue - magical (1-2 attributes)
Yellow - rare (3 - 6 attributes)
Dark brown - unique items (with unique properties - good for specific builds when you know what you can sacrifice for the "good" stats)
Green - support gems/quest items
7. Unlike Diablo 2, you don't join new games, but rather the particular map will refresh if no one has been in it for 15 minutes. If you can't wait for it to refresh, then go to the area on the WP and use control+click and it will give you the option to open a fresh area
8. Review the trade forum and trade channels every so often to get an idea of what the current values are for regularly used currencies, such as Exalted Orb, Gemcutters Prism, Regal Orb, Divine Orb, also Chaos and Fusing.
9. Not every item can get 6 links, this will depend on the type of item, and it's ILVL. First off, the only items that can be 6 linked are armors and 2 handed weapons, furthermore they must have an ILVL of at least 50. To check what ILVL your item is, hold it on the cursor and in the chat type, /itemlevel.
# of Sockets / Min Level
10. Armorers scraps, and whetstone's can be used to increase the quality of any item, except for belts, up to 20%. It's important that you do this to all of your weapons/armor that you use to give you the best competitive advantage.
11. F1 pops a transparent information's about your latency / fps / frame time, which can be helpful as POE is often laggy without a high end computer or having your settings set to lower standards.
12. Write /help in a chat for a list of useful commands like :
/played - time you played actual character
/age - how long ago you created actual character
/deaths - number of deaths
/ladder - tells you the top leveled character in your league
/invite CharacterName - invite player to your party
/ignore CharacterName - adds to ignore list
/friend CharacterName - adds to friend list
/remaining - shows how many monsters remain in your current area
/oos - resyncs your character
/passives - shows you how many passives you have left and where you got them
To whisper a player you use: @CharacterName message.
Also you can right click a player to whisper/invite to party/add as friend/trade with that player.
Also you can easily link items to chat by having chat box open and pressing CTRL + ALT + left clicking on the item.
13. When choosing a characters skill tree there are endless factors considered, and as someone just starting out you will want to follow a cookie cutter guide unless you want to spend lots on orbs of regret. For popular character builds you can check our character builds!
15. Using support gems are very important in adding more power to your current skills. In order to use them, make sure you item is linked together, and remember the gems don't need to be directly linked next to each other to work.
16. The currency known as Gemcutter's Prism (GCP) has multiple uses, first off it can raise the level of a game and secondly it can raise the % quality of a gem. To do this you will need to place for example a level 10 gem and a GCP in to a vendors window to sell. The result will be a 10% quality level 1 gem. This is most useful in end game when you are trying to have perfect 20% gems.
17. If you sell multiple quality gems with a combined 40% quality, you will receive a GCP from the vendor.
18. If you type /oos in chat it will help resync your character if you've been desynced, which does seem to happen often in POE. You can do this every 10 seconds.
19. Level 100 is the highest level in POE. After level 75+ the only reasonable way to level are going to be through maps
20. In order to play the Scion, you must save her in act 3 in normal and complete the difficulty.
21. Stash tabs are on sale every month or two, but are very useful if you plan on playing this game a lot. Take advantage of their sales if you can!
22. After dying in hardcore mode, whether in the ladder league or not you will be transferred to Standard League. Unlike Diablo 2 where your character is just a ghost.
23. level 20 gems are very valuable, in order to give yourself the best chance of getting them use your secondary weapon slot with 2x 3 socket items or one 6 socket item and fill them with gems. These will still level up even though you're not using that item.
24. If you start leveling gems when you're level 1, they should be 20 by the time you're 85 assuming you don't die often... Though gems do not lose experience when you die.
25. Vendoring a gem and an Ob of Scouring will remove 1 level from the gem.
26. When identifying multiple items, hold shift so you don't have to click on the scroll every time.
27. One handed weapons can only have 3 sockets and the same for shields.
28. If you're using Iron Reflexes, you need to have 6667 base armor for Determination to be better than Grace.
29. After normal, side quests become more difficult so use your resources and join groups b pressing "S".